Sunday, May 20, 2007

BY THE BOOK

This happened not too long ago to a humble family applying for low cost living facilities through HUD (Department of Housing and Urban Development). I, personally have not checked the veracity of this story, but I truly believe the source where it came from. Life can be very cruel when you are desperately trying to make ends meet if you don't have the means and you are faced with the reality manipulated by bureaucrats.
In order not to disclose the identity of the characters in this true story, we shall name the head of household
being interviewed HOH, and the interviewer HUD
(I didn't have to think much about this one).

HOH: Good morning! I am here to apply for the Low-Rent apartment.

HUD: Hi. Please have a seat. Did you bring the documents required by law?

HOH: Yes. Here they are...my last Income Tax return...My last employment
check stub...My Social Security card...My Marriage Certificate and all
the other papers I was told to bring.

HUD: Let me see...Everything seems to be in order...Wait...is this your last
pay check stub? Is this weekly or biweekly?

HOH: Weekly

HUD: Oh, oh! I'm afraid you are making more money than what's required!
It's not much more...$54 for the year. You are not eligible. I am so
sorry!

HOH: What do you mean I don't qualify? Are you telling me that for fifty four
dollars I can't have the apartment?

HUD: I'm afraid so. Unfortunately you are over the set limit.

HOH: Can't you make an exception considering the amount?

HUD: I know how you feel. I am so terribly sorry, but there is nothing I can
do. Why don't you look for another job that pays just a dollar and
change less a week. That will bring your yearly income below the
limit.

(At this point, the conversation became irrelevant and the poor guy started walking out of the office, cursing more than his luck with probably some epithets, which I dare not to print here.)

Note: The "By-The-Book" bureaucratic mentality, enhanced by its master, the computer, made this particular HUD worker a total robotic being, totally stripped of any common sense and logical thinking.

1 comment:

Machine. said...

This world is full of non-emotional dysfunctional morons, who can't seem to go past the capability of reading from a book of rules. Worse of all, they have been placed in positions that create dire circumstances. Yet another great reason why our jails are #1 in the world in per capita population. Because of useless regulations, and because of people who when forced to follow these useless rules, turn elsewhere to obtain what they need. And since the elsewhere is void of government, and therefore taxable represenatation, they are apprehended and labeled a vicious criminal and thrown in a jail.