Monday, July 13, 2009

BY THE BOOK

This is a true story. It is not political. It is about life in the USA by the book. I am so glad it happened to me for it has given me material to ridicule it and enjoy it at the same time.

Around 3 pm this afternoon I decided to go to the Public Library in Tamarac to get some movies I was interested in watching. I brought a list of five of them and stood in line to ask the library worker about these movies. The line was formed by me only. No one behind, but you already know you have to stand in line. That is the routine procedure we've been
trained for anywhere we go, STAND IN LINE even if you are the only one there.
My turn came up. I knew it was my turn because I was the first one there,
actually the only one, as I mentioned before, but I played the game and waited to be called.
Finally the worker, an old lady with a pronounced triple chin, who had been on the phone with someone else, hung up and softly called "May I help you?". I must say with a smile and in a very polite way. I approached her and told her I was looking for some movies. She answered "Give me the titles". I told her I had five and she replied "You are only entitled to three". I thought that she was wrong because you are entitled to take out five DVDs at a time, but I kept quiet, like you have been taught to behave without arguing or trying to make your point.
Thus, I gave her three titles. She only found one, therefore I proceeded to give her the remaining two, based on the fact that according to her I could have three and only one movie was available so far.
As I started mentioning the 4th movie she stopped me: " I said you can only have three, I am sorry, only three".
My reply was: "Yes, but you told me you could only find one, so I can have two more, right?". "No sir, (still very polite I must confess), she answered, Once I enter three titles in the computer that's it".
I was perplexed and could not resist to ask why only three titles could be entered in the computer to find out if they existed or not. Why not two more? Her explanation was by the book. Every customer is only entitled to ask for three titles AT A TIME. That's the key! AT A TIME! The reason is very simple...to avoid holding up the line. As I have already mentioned I was the only one on line! So I tried to explain to her that there was no one behind me. I was not holding anyone up! "Sorry (she continued), but that's the rule".
"OK, what do I do now to find out about the other two titles?"
" You come back and stand in line again for another turn" was her reply.
"Ah, so I can walk out the exit door, turn around, enter again and stand in line once more?"
"Yes sir" (wow, this lady was extremely polite!).
Then, I walked out of the Library (about 10 paces to the door), came back in and stood in line. Again, there was no one standing in line, but me.
She saw me and, I swear to God, she said" "May I help you?"
I looked at her, smiled (almost laughed, but I was able to restrain myself)) and said: "Hi, I am back. Remember me?". No answer to that. She just asked me for the other two titles, thus she definitely remembered me, in spite of the 20 elapsed seconds on my round trip. I gave those titles to her, but these two were not in existence either.
At the end of this "by the book" episode I was told that the only movie she
was able to find would take ten days. Fine with me.
Is this the only encountered I've had with people and organizations who go by the book, regardless of how ridiculous is the interpretation by those who apply it? Of course not, we live according to stupid rules written by lawyers who try to have control of all of us. and by employees of institutions, mainly governmental, whose requirements to hold those jobs are a social security number, proof of citizenship and some type of religious belief. Intelligence and common sense need not to apply.
Poor planet Earth run by idiots!



No comments: