Wednesday, June 11, 2008

TV OR NOT TV

Yes. Pretty corny, but I could not think of another title that denotes how confused I am about this incredible device that controls our lives.



I can't deny that I enjoy PBS when they have a rerun of the Doo-Bops. I don't know why since I am only 35. Family and friends...shut up!

I also like Animal Planet for its scientific value, not because I am an animal person, you know what I mean. Some sports, like the World Cup Soccer or the Eurocup; the 162 games played by the Marlins, which my wife watches religiously and I have to deal with it whether they win or lose. I hate to continue watching a game when my team is losing. Too stressful. And I also like science fiction. Anything with science fiction, even of the caliber of "Q"!



OK, so now you know , in my case, the first part of that Shakespearean famous quote. The bad part, the "Not TV" one includes the Local News, where all the non-sport news are about who got killed, raped, and crashed on the road; and the sports news about some who-cares-high-schools teams winnning or losing to other who-cares-less-team schools. Well, maybe the players parents are very proud, but... correct me if I am wrong...Aren't we ripped off by the Cable Company or the Satellite Network providing us with the audio and images just as those proud parents are? How about if some of the Local News could add a daily segment regarding Old Farts pride achievements, like...

"How to go to the bathroom at least 3 times a week without causing hemorrhoids pain"...or "Sex in the Rocking Chair"?

Here is more of the "NO TV"....Reality Shows. reality for whom? To me a reality show should be more something like how to survive with the economy crisis or how we are being held hostage by the gas companies and their providers; or what to do when you can't continue payments on your mortgage. Those are REAL topics for REALITY SHOWS. The other garbage they show on TV is just that...GARBAGE. Please keep in mind that this is my blog and I only reflect my opinion. You are entitled to yours, and you could tell me off in the "Comments" section...or start your own blog!

More on the "NO TV"? Oh, yes! The INFOMERCIALS! The infamous infomercials. The ones that force you to keep switching chanels at 3 o'clock in the morning if you are an insomniac like me, in order to find
something to put you back to sleep.


I have been listing all these NO TV culprits in reverse order of annoyance. Now comes the second annoying reason of why I would not have a television set: Senior Citizens dish out just about 10% of their social security check for a package of forty five thousand chanels (or fifty thousand, I am not sure), when at their age, after one program they are already asleep. The rest of the population need to work to earn a salary. They also need to commute, and to sleep. Those are basic and irrefutable requirements to have a job and to maintain it. Thus...how many hours are there left to watch TV? Why can't those cable and satellite companies allow people to select chanels, like we do when we go to a restaurant to eat? Imagine if we ordered lasagna and we would be told we also had to pay for chicken cacciatore and eggplant parmigiana as a "package deal"?

And now...the number one reason why I HATE Television!....

THE LOUSY COMMERCIALS during any program. They are the worst I have ever seen since 1961, They are false, mainly lies, loud, low class, stupid, lacking originality and subliminal with the intention of brain washing. They all insult our intelligence. Well, there are a very few exceptions, but just a number you can count with your fingers. Worst of all...WE ARE PAYING to watch those awful commercials! Unless, of course, you master the art of muting them by being the Quick Draw McGraw of the remote control. Nevertheless, even if you could pull the trigger faster than Doc Holiday, do we need all that stress in order to watch TV? Here is an idea to all of you lying and malicious companies...Since you've been bombarding us for years and years with a bunch of lies and deceptive advertising and we already know that you exist, unfortunately, why don't you save all that money that you waste and use it for instance...to lower the cost of your products? It would be a win win proposition. Who knows, perhaps we would even start liking you!

Definitely :"NO TV" outweighs "TV".

3 comments:

Machine. said...

Have a coke and a smile.

DGA said...

???????

Machine. said...

It was just a commercial that I remembered and repeated. Like a zombie. HAHAHAHA!